Wednesday 14 March 2012

Antics: #2

Hello Peeps, 

Well what a crazy life I lead.... what an amazing and fantastic social life I have, being out every night to attend this soiree to this event and this public openi... Oh yes wait, that's not me at all. Whoops!

So yes I haven't been up to much at all apart from work very long hours in the office and adding to my calorie intake hourly! (Note to self something must be done about my weight soon, otherwise my bathroom scales will be calling in a union rep) However I have taken part in a bit of film viewing action over the last couple of days and I thought I would share my thoughts on this, in part to make me feel I am doing something constructive. 

Disney's John Carter 

So me and Blokey headed off to our local Cineworld for date night. Yes I am not in a middle aged marriage with a bunch of kids haranguing round my ankles but with both of our schedules and Blokey working away we do have to book time in. And to be honest the cinema is our perfect venue for date night as it includes vasts amount of calorific treats and an opportunity to sit in a darkened room not talking to each other for 2 hours, Bliss! Anywhoo I digress, it was his turn to pay so he had prepared himself for a full on block/carnage/car-chase/action packed evening as his hopes were set on watching the new Mark Wahlberg film Contraband... unfortunately due to the choice available and timings it was left to my pitiful and quite flimsy choices. So the new Disney venture into live action sci-fi, John Carter, it was. 

First point was I did want to see this film but it wasn't ever put at the top of my list, it was more of a 'meh' and a 'I'll get it when its on DVD' option. I love sci-fi and horror films and even included these as much as possible into my work when going through my degree, so I had high hopes that this would be my next cult or guilty pleasure. As with everything I do I always like to read a few reviews and lot around this film featured on the technological cinematography (more about this later) and also on the Director, as this is his first furore into live action film. When you look at the list of someones back work and it includes Finding Nemo, Wall-E and even Toy Story from the Pixar arm of Disney, expecting big things. 

So we made the selection of our evenings viewing and headed over to pay. We decided it was best to go with the 3D viewing as it was available, so what the hell, it must make it better right?... right?. Any way two tickets, two pairs of 3D glasses, two drinks, one bag of salted pop corn and one bag of minstrels (Blokey's may I add as he is very possessive of the choccy treats) .... and how much would you guess?? £36 pounds!!! £36 POUNDS. Now I have watched documentaries and news pieces on the high mark up of Cinema pop corn and dont really care because I love it.. this I am not arguing about but £10.60 odd per Adult to see a film and then to be charged an extra 80p on top of that for the glasses!! Send in the Rip off Britain team because that is ridiculous.

And then the film... this should be the bit your really interested in. I really can't say much about it. I liked it but I didn't love it. I didn't particularly hate anything about it either but it just lacked energy. It is a fairly far fetched plot but aren't all Sci-fi films supposed to be. But I knew the ending of this film within the first 20 minutes, which I hate about films. And also the 3D technology which is why this film was held off for for so long, not worth the plastic glasses that rested on my nose (Which we had to pay for!). There were only a few elements that were actually obviously 3D and most of these were in the opening titles and adverts. And also I found that towards the end my eyes were sore and in some scenes the speed of the action made it hard to really see what was happening, it was like a marathon for the eyes, when all I wanted to buy into was a country walk or if most an amiable jog. 

So, .... rant over. Please go and see it, and let me know what you think. and if not in the cinema at least get it on DVD. This is worth a watch ... it is just fairly disappointing when you can see the possibilities of the franchise slipping away before your eyes (or not if you are wearing the 3D specs).

This has worked out quite long so I will be adding my thoughts on another film I watched recently in another post so check for my next update on The Help which I ordered off the TV. 

Later Peeps. xxx

P.S Due to the results of above and the slight grunt I got from Blokey afterwards when I asked him what he thought... don't expect any reviews of my choices of films (except the next one) for a while. I have been banned from film sourcing for awhile now. : (

No comments:

Post a Comment