Sunday 18 March 2012

Antics:#3 The Help

Hello Peeps, 

So I promised to write a review on this film the other day but due to some work issues (I will let you in on this soon) I've not had much time for writing any posts. However it is here and I think quite apt considering it is Mother's Day (UK Holiday)

Anywhoo... I settled down on the couch last Wednesday night after work, and as always the TV schedules were appalling. I don't really understand this as you would of thought the TV bigwigs would of locked onto the fact that there is just nothing on... or is this a sign from them telling me I should have a much larger social life. hmm. However rather than sitting and watching some non-descript documentary or another re-run of CSI I decided to get a film on pay-per-view and opted for 'The Help' which has recently been released on DVD. 

The Help is a story about the white and black segregation during the 1950's of southern America. It looks at the story of maids and servants of black ethnicity working in the homes of affluent white people. The whole film revolves around the character 'Skeeter', a spunky all-american girl returning from college to pursue a career as a journalist at her local paper as to gain more experience for bigger and better things. She is first assigned to a cleaning column and from the get go you can see she is not like the other girls in her area. She appears to aspire different things from the marriage and motherhood that so many had around her. But not just that her mentality and ideas seem to be far more modern, with her obvious distaste of the racism around or any examples of bad doing. 

The story then moves on to her connection with one maid, and the story goes on from here with the look into their plight and the goings on they experience. I don't want to go any further with this as I think I will spoil it for you all but I can say this film is much more than about racism. I finished this (surrounding by an empty box of tissues) feeling this is more of a tale about motherhood and love, and every different guise this could fall into. Whether it was biological, adopted, too much love, not enough love, having a mother and losing a mother. 

This is something we have all experienced, whether its the lack of, the having or the loss (and unfortunately we will all experience this). I don't want to be down in the mouth on such a lovely day but if anything take away a lesson that you never know what you have got till its gone. Please watch this film, sit down with your mum and a box of tissues and thank yourselves for the lives we are in today and for the loved ones we have. There are also some amazing laughs so don't worry too much. Brilliant film, brilliant sentiment. Will be buying this soon. 

Happy Mother's Day everyone
Later Peeps. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment