Saturday 10 March 2012

Glossy Box: March - The Harrods Edition

Hi Peeps. 

Ok, so I finally have got the well hyped up and promoted Harrods box and I thought I would give you guys my thoughts as soon as possible. Actually really happy that I was actually awake and didn't miss the postie this morning as mine are usually delivered on a Tuesday (Also surprised with the sore head I have this morning I was even alive at 8:30 this morning). Anywhoo... let's get on with a review and I will try not to be too scathing, but I will be honest. 

So here goes...



First I do like the box, however... I think I have been spoiled of late as have had 3 special edition boxes since I subscribed in December so I am probably not as excited about this as I should be. I am very weirdly in love with the Harrods ribbon however, it looks rather posh and just has this luxe air about it. If anyone has any tips or examples of re-using the ribbons please let me know. 

So what did I get and what did I think. 

1. Narciso Rodriguez - For Her Eau De Parfum - 1ml
For her is Narciso Rodriguez's first fragrance. A tribute to women's grace and power of inspiration. 
With it being International Women's Day this week the title description of this perfumes seem very apt. 
  • Packaging:The size of this sample is not the smallest I have received... But I do regularly get perfume samples like this and of this size for free from my regular freebie hunts. So I am abit disappointed with the amount we have been given.I think I will get maybe 5 spritzes out of this (one of which I have used to test for you guys)
  • Smell/look: It is a floral but musky scent. It smells fairly passable but I would say it is a bit too grown up smell for me. I prefer fresher more fruity or linen type scents. 
  • Response: Although I will use this as another option to my perfume list, I won't be buying this. It is unfortunately just not ticking the boxes for me in my usual likes.
 2. Molton Brown - Heavenly Ginger-Lily Moisture Bath & Shower -50ml
Vitamin-rich fruit extracts boost the skin and invigorate the senses
  • Packaging: It is a squeezy plastic bottle in the usual Molton Brown design. In travel size. I can't fault MB for this as not only do I love the packaging but I do get comments from guests when they see them sat on my bathroom side. I have even given these types of travel size items as gifts to friends. 
  • Smell/Look: I attempted to gauge the smell of this after spraying the NR sample so not sure if this will be an effective response. But they do smell fairly similar. I have had this flavour before and it is quite floral and strong. It is pleasant tho and not too strong for the nostrils. 
  • Response: Another shower gel which will sit on my bathroom shelf until I either go on my travels/or give away to a friend. MB is a lovely brand but after a count up with over 9 bottles of the same size I wont be racing to reach for it. (No more shower gels please GB)
3. YSL - Forever Youth Liberator Serum - 5ml
A powerful serum enriched with 3 glycans to help increase youthful activity in skin cells (In Vitro Test). Use one drop day and evening on cleansed skin, prior to applying your daily moisturiser. You can also visit YSL at Harrods, The Cosmetic Hall, ground floor - for a free skincare consultation. 
  • Packaging: I must say it looks amazing. Space age skincare at its best. It comes in a box which inside is a small metal bottle with a rubber droplet. The colour is a lovely metallic pink/lilac which if nothing else will look good in my skincare box. A sturdy packaging which is always good when receiving samples. 
  • Smell/Look: There is a fairly faint scent to this which is just there in the background but not too much. When you open the pot and withdraw the droplet the serum definitely has a suspicious colouring and consistency (I'm trying not too be rude here so please use your imaginations). I applied a small drop to my hand and its quite viscous and rubs in well with a light texture. It rubs in very well and even with one tiny drop you can see this stretching all over the face. It also left my skin feeling very soft but also like it was there. I may be bucking the trend with this but when applying products I don't want them to be heavy but I also want to feel they are still there, and not rubbed away to nothing
  • Response: I am fairly disappointed in relation to this as I was recently asked through a Facebook campaign to try this specific product already. So could of received the same if not bigger sample for free. However I have been looking for a new serum for my skincare routine as my recent one has run out. Although only 26 (I am saying it like this as a moment of positivity as normally I feel like an old hag as I approach the big 3-0) I am including anti-ageing products into my routine as they seem the most effective in their response to my skin. Will test this one and let you know...
4. Burberry Beauty - Miniature Lip Mist Copper No 202 - 0.8g
With a balmy, lip-loving formula, Lip Mist offers sheer colour with an irresistible gloss shine
  • Packaging: What can I say .... the packaging in beautiful. Its one of those products you pick up and start stroking it and oohing. (Think Gollum from the LOTR) Yes you have all done it with shoes and bags and generally any shiny thing. It comes in a textured beige box with the usual gold branding lettering synonymous with Burberry. The lipstick case is silver cubed affair with plain on the bottom part and the hatched Burberry pattern not only etched into the top but also into the lipstick (I did try to take a snap of this but my camera is shocking and cant take pictures of things that small... oh I say), so this is very lush on the ohhing and ahhing stakes
  • Smell/Look: No scent to this one, which some of my more sensitive sisters will love. The colour is a rose pink type shade with a hint of beige in it. I am not the best and describing this I am afraid. When applied the colour is not that far off from my natural lip colour which is really disappointing. It does apply quite thick but makes my lips feel moisturised and gives a glossy rather than matte effect. 
  • Response: Disappointed, upset and let down. This was THE product I was looking forward to getting in my box.... and now that I have got it I don't know if I want it. The sample size is so small and was expecting a full size one to me honest. (Yes more fool me). Also when applying its so small I felt it was a bit fragile so expect this one to snap very soon. However in terms of Burberry itself the quality is outstanding. I have been having a lipstick revival recently and this is my first high end one. I don't know if I will buy this shade (will test it with my normal makeup palette) but I will have a look on their counter when I am there next. 
5. Clarins - Extra Firming Body Cream - 30ml
A formula rich in regenerating and firming plant extracts which immediately helps to lift and tone, for firmer skin and a younger looking body. 
*Need someones help here as I think that alot of people got Clarins products in last months box - Please let me know because if the case naughty naughty GB*
  • Packaging: It is a white tube with the usual red Clarins writing. Can't say much about this as its just a white tube. Boring. 
  • Smell/Look: Not much of a scent from what I can tell. (Unfortunately for you guys as I am sitting here writing this the NR sample from the 1st product is not only lingering I think it is getting stronger lol. ) It is a thick cream almost to a balm texture. Rubs in well and did leave my skin feeling soft and not greasy. 
  • Response: I don't think I can give you a really good review of this yet. I have got two areas of wobbly bits that I will be applying this too and will see how I get on. Hopefully you are not prudish but I will give this a go on the bum and bust area. Both need alot of work but with varying different skin types here I think it will be a good test for the results of the cream... Keep you posted. 

So GB, did you deliver on the Harrods hype. I will have to say no. I was looking forward to getting a chance to try high end products that I hadn't really heard of. Apart from the NR perfume who I have heard of the designer but not this furore, I have heard of and used these brands before. 

Also the size of the samples was horrendous this month. I am not sizeist and you would really think I have a complex with large things going from this post, but I am not happy with this at all. 

Another thing to note as well if any of you got involved with the whole argument on the cost of the products in the last box and how they where disparagingly different.... you may have noticed that GB have not published the cost of these products in this months box. This may just have been a harmless exclusion but I am just saying its very apt. 

In all I will get some use out of these products. I generally prefer make-up items and I will put my two pence in about another shower gel and another moisturiser ... but I doubt this moan will be heard. GB please get back to concentrating on a varied amount of products and brands, get these personal profiles working to your advantage and give us what we desire, and stay the hell away from themed boxes for a while. Get the fundamentals right first please. 

So what did you get in your boxes? Let me know what you thought

Later Peeps. xxx











3 comments:

  1. Fab review, new follower!

    I'm still waiting on mines, hope it comes Monday! I'm the same, I prefer make up items too.

    x
    poochytails.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your follow, I hope you like some of my other posts. Would be great to hear what you get as well.xxx

      Delete
  2. Would this be in relation to the post/review... or to the Harrods Glossy Box?

    ReplyDelete