Tuesday 3 April 2012

My Thoughts: Schwarzkopf Live Hair Foam

Hello Peeps.


Well as you should know my hair has been really bad condition of late and is in dire need of a haircut but I just can't face cutting of my well earned locks. So because of this I have been looking for many different hair rescue treatments to bring it back to lustre. Also due to the fragility of it I have been holding back from colouring my hair but due to a v.important job interview this Wednesday and the ever glaringly obvious grey hair regrowth (yes I have grey hair at 26, I'm also naturally blonde which doesn't help with my chosen shade) it definitely needed doing. So out came the rubber gloves and the ordeal begins....

Schwarzkopf Live Color XXL: 499 Violet Berry Blast
Application: 
All of the solutions and relevant items come contained in the shaker so first of emptied these onto my bathroom side. You then pour the tint liquid into the tub, followed by the sachet of dye powder. Carefully close the lid and make sure all the edges have popped, last thing you want is this splashed across the bathroom tiles. And then give it a good 40 shakes (I can't count 40 shakes so generally do it for 40 seconds). Remove the lid carefully (gloves should be on at this stage)... and start to apply the foam. 

I always add it first to my roots around my hair line as this is were my hair is the lightest and the growth can be seen the most. I then section it off and rub into the roots as aggressively as possible. working through the top of my hair and then through the lower sections. (I always miss the bits behind my ears even when paying particular attention, so have ignored this mishap now)

The foam is supposed to be used as a shampoo and rubbed into the hair, however the actual foaminess appears to disappear as soon as it touches my hair. It does provide good coverage and doesn't drip everywhere. Also the foam doesn't really go all the way to the bottom of the pot. I always get left with a lot of gunky thick dye at the bottom, although this can be good to work through the ends of my hair but does get alot messier. 

Ok, so with the usual, wait 30 mins and then rinse. Prepare everything in the bath to turn pink so clear the decks.  (I have trouble getting all of the dye out so will usually lather up with my regular shampoo half way through and rinse it off this way)

Aftercare:
Once the hair has been rinsed the pack comes with a sachet of conditioner (scissors at the ready again) which you apply and leave to soak in for a few minutes and then rinse. Unlike many of these added conditioners this one is a bit poor and I have definitely had better, so needed to do this step again with my regular conditioner.  Also I have noticed my hair is very dry since this, when usually a dying session would give me lovely soft hair for at least a week. 

Staying power:
I come to terms with the fact that home dyes (even though I use a permanent) take a while to wash out. I prepare myself for a funky coloured bath for a few days.... but this one has been like this for 3 weeks. Purple bath each time is not something I look forward to and I have also noticed that the colour hasn't taken to my hair as it previously had, and is fading already. 

Overall: 
Ok, this is the second time I have used this product and I was happy with it the first time round, however after the effects of this I don't think I will be re-purchasing. The mess and the fading is something I wish to avoid. It's not as messy or sloppy as the normal type of liquid dyes but I'm hoping there are some better options out there in the foam vein. Also I think as my hair is so dry at the moment I will need something a bit more hydrating in my next home dye kit. 

So that's what I think... Have you had any experiences with the new trend in foaming dye?

Later Peeps. xxx


p.s. Blokey recently suggested he prefers me with my brunette hair colour rather than my current purple trend... what do you think?



2 comments:

  1. The john frieda foam hair dye is a brilliant one, so easy to use and stays in for ages, i would recommend it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, That was definately going to be my next attempt. I've seen alot of ad campaigns for it as well and it looks fantastic. I'll let you know how I get on. xxx

      Delete